Get In Touch

Monday, August 20, 2012

Vegan Lemon Muffins

Share it Please
This recipe is inspired by Lucy Rosset's Lemon Yogurt Muffins. If you're interested in buying her cookbook you can by it here. The recipe sounded really good, but it had lots of dairy in it.

I was disappointed, but determined to make them vegan so I could eat a lemon muffin. I'm so glad I tried!

These muffins are moist, lemony, and 100% delicious! I'm probably not doing the muffins justice. I just can't think of a word to describe how incredibly yummy they are.


It was actually pretty easy to make the recipe vegan. In my opinion, it's easier to get rid of animal products in a recipe rather than gluten. Gluten free flours have to be combined to be subbed 1 on 1 for wheat flour. But there are many substitutes for eggs and other animal products that are relatively simple.

With that said, these take about 10 minutes to whip together and if you're too impatient to wait the half hour for them to come out of the oven, you can eat the batter!


2 3/4 c. almond flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 flax "eggs"
1/4 c. grape seed oil
1/2 c. honey
1/4 c. juice from the lemon you used for the rind
1/2 c. non-dairy yogurt (I used So Delicious plain coconut milk yogurt)
1 tsp. freshly grated lemon rind

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
2. In a bowl, combine almond flour, salt, and baking soda.
3. In a separate bowl, mix flax eggs, honey, and lemon juice.
4. Combine wet and dry mixtures. Add the non-dairy yogurt. Stir until thoroughly mixed.
5. Stir in the lemon rind.
6. Line muffin tin with cupcake liners.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.


How to Make Flax "Eggs": The ratio for a flax egg is 1:3. That means 1 T. flaxseed meal added to 3 T. of water is the equivalent of one large egg. So, to make a flax egg you need a blender, flaxseed meal and water. Blend the flaxseed meal with water until is makes a gooey mixture. Using this ratio, you can make as many flax eggs as you need.


Substitution Notes: The flax eggs can be replaced by real eggs, of course. The nondairy yogurt by regular plain yogurt and the grape seed oil by butter or any other oil. Maybe, instead of using lemon, use orange rind and fresh juice. I can't vouch for the results so if you try it, let me know if it works.


Inquiry of the Day:

What's your favorite muffin? Do you make them or are they from a bakery?

I love pumpkin muffins, especially the pumpkin muffies from Panera. Delish! But I also like chocolate, blueberry, banana with chocolate chips, and pretty much another kind of muffin you can think of. Except for strawberry muffins. I hate strawberries. Not so much their taste, just their texture.

1 comment:

  1. I made these last weekend and they were AMAZING!!
    Me and my husband just loved them. So tasty =)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media