Get In Touch

Friday, April 5, 2013

No-Mayo Slaw

Share it Please
As the warmer weather draws near, I love having salads. Whether in addition to a meal, or as the main dish. They require little prep work and our probably one of the most versatile meals out there. You can even make salad without spinach or lettuce, such as, the lovely coleslaw.


Most coleslaw recipes that I've tried have mayonnaise in them. I'll admit that I like mayo, but, being Paleo, that means we have to make our own. And it has to be with raw eggs. As much as raw eggs are supposed to be good for you, I have trouble eating them. Except in cake or muffin or brownie batter. Then it's okay. ;)

Anyways, my mom found a recipe for mayonnaise made with ground flax seed and it's delicious! But that's just another thing to make, so, when it comes to coleslaw, making it sans-mayonnaise takes a little bit of creativity.


But I can't take all the credit for the recipe. A relative passed this recipe onto my grandma and I had it at her house recently. I fell in love with it! It's definitely one of the better coleslaws I've tried- with or without mayonnaise. Unfortunately, it called for quite a bit of sugar. However, I love to try to Paleo-ize recipes. It's fun to me. I always enjoy a challenge. ;)

But this really wasn't much of a challenge. The recipe was easy to convert into a Paleo recipe, and I added my own little twist to it. Score! :)

Also, if making for a larger crowd, I would recommend doubling or tripling the recipe.

1/2 head green cabbage
1/2 small onion
2 medium-sized carrots, peeled
4 small bell peppers of any color or 2 large ones

1/4 c. olive oil
2 T. agave
1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder

1. Shred cabbage, onion, and carrots in a food processor.
2. Slice your pepper into whatever size pieces you want. Stir into the shredded cabbage, onion, and carrot.
3. In a jar, add the olive oil, agave, apple cider vinegar, salt, and garlic powder. Shake well until it's thoroughly combined.
4. Pour onto your shredded veggies, and stir to combine.
5. That's it! You're done!






Inquiry of the Day:

Do you enjoy adapting recipes so they suit you're dietary needs? I know a lot of readers are vegan, so do you adapt old recipes to make them vegan? Or do you go without?

4 comments:

  1. Ever since I was really really little I've hated mayonoise (not exactly sure why....), but this one seems really good, so I think I'll try it!
    I'm always adapting things so that they're vegan! Whenever I'm too lazy to find the vegan version of anyhting, I just take a normal recipe off the internet and switch and change out ingredients until it's vegan! I'll admit, it doesn't always taste good though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a mayonnaise fan either, to tell the truth. I'm glad you think the recipe sounds good!
      Things not tasting good is just part of the process. :) I think that's half the fun, though. If something doesn't work, you go back to the drawing board and try again.
      Have a great week! :D

      Delete
  2. Sounds good! I love the idea of a no-mayo salad. It sound simple, yet tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's extremely simple to make and is good with almost any meal.
      Have a great week! :D

      Delete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media