Get In Touch

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Healthy 3 Musketeers!

Share it Please
I'd been wanting to make 3 Musketeers for a while and with Halloween so close it was the perfect time. Plus the Paleo Parents are having their third annual Halloween recipe round-up! Since I wanted to make 3 Musketeers anyways, I thought, why not submit a recipe? So that's what this is. My submission to their recipe round-up.


Do you remember the last time you had a 3 Musketeers? Bitten into a bar of whipped chocolate filling covered in more chocolate? If it's been too long, then you're in luck! This recipe mimics the taste of the classic 3 Musketeers bar without the corn syrup, hydrogenated palm kernel oil, sugar, and artificial flavors. This copy cat version is also a lot more nutrient dense. The original candy bar packs a whopping 36 grams of sugar per regular sized bar and has little nutritional benefit. This isn't to say indulging in one every now and then is terrible, but wouldn't you prefer to eat one more than every now and then? ;)


My version is much lower in sugar, good for gut health (because of the coconut), and even has a small amount of protein while the original has none. Also, you can't really beat the health benefits of dark chocolate. ;) Some new studies have shown it helps you live longer and (if you eat a piece every day) keeps you slimmer. But that's besides the point...


 Now it took a little bit to get this recipe into shape. The first time I made it, the flavors were right, but the looks- not so much. The second time didn't work at all. But the third worked decently. I mean, there is probably no way you are going to get this recipe to look exactly like a 3 Musketeers bar without adding all the chemicals to it. So this is the best looking you are going to get them. Unless you possess some magical powers that I don't. And coating the filling in chocolate is seriously messy business, meaning a great job for younger kids. Just make sure they don't burn themselves on the chocolate, although that's probably unlikely.

1 can coconut cream
2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
sweetener, to taste
1/8 tsp. salt
1 c. chocolate chips
2 T. coconut oil

1. In a large bowl, whip the coconut cream until it's fluffy.
2. Add the cocoa powder, sweetener, and salt. Whip until it's thoroughly combined.
3. Line a 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper. Pour the coconut filling into the dish. Cut it into whatever size squares that you want.
4. Freeze for about 4 hours or until firm.
5. When the coconut filling is completely frozen, start melting your chocolate in a pot over low heat. You can do this in the microwave, too. Just make sure to watch it closely.
6. Once the chocolate is melted, stir in the coconut oil.
7. Retrieve the coconut filling from the freezer. Dip the squares in the chocolate one by one and lay on a piece of wax paper. You want to do this fast so they coconut doesn't thaw too much.
8. Freeze again for about half an hour, then put in the fridge too thaw a little bit. They're best kept in the fridge or you can store them in the freezer and let them set a little before you eat them. Or you can eat them frozen, but they'll taste more like ice cream than a 3 Musketeer.


Inquiry of the Day:

What are your favorite kinds of candy? Any you want me to try and health-ify? (I make no promises that I'll get to them soon, though.)

Reese's, Butterfingers, 3 Musketeers, PB Twix, York Peppermint Patties, and Kit Kats are some of my favorites. I haven't had a Mounds Bar before, but I probably like them seeing as how I like chocolate and coconut.

7 comments:

  1. Swiftie2210/21/2013

    I SO have to try these! 3 Musketeers are one of my favorite chocolate candies, but I barely ever eat them because of the amount of sugar in them. :/

    My favorite chocolate candies include: 3 Musketeers, Reese's, Kit Kats, and Almond Joy... You just gotta <3 Almond Joy... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand about the sugar thing. But every once in a while I'll get an actual candy bar just to splurge. ;) Like I said, I have yet to try an Almond Joy. But it will happen soon! I promise! ;D

      Delete
  2. These look amazing!!

    What do you mean by 1 can of coconut cream? What brand of coconut cream do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      When I say "1 can of coconut cream" I mean the solid part (the fat) on top of coconut milk when you refrigerate it. You can buy coconut cream in cans like coconut milk. I get mine from Trader Joe's. But if you can't find any, just refrigerating a can of coconut milk and scooping the fat off will work.

      Delete
  3. 3 Musketeers are my FAVORITE candy bar ever! I have to make these for an upcoming Halloween party. Can't wait!

    What sweetener do you recommend that works best? Do you have to use a full can of coconut cream or can you use the cream at the top of a can of chilled full fat coconut milk?

    Thank you so much for putting this recipe together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use honey or agave, but I've heard powdered sugar works well, and, of course, you can use regular sugar. I just wouldn't use brown sugar or anything like that. Either a can of coconut cream or the cream off the top of a refrigerated can of coconut milk will work.

      Delete
  4. Oh snap! These were spot on! I had to make them twice because the coconut cream never firmed up...found out I had to put the can in the fridge. I made them just in time for Halloween night and my non-paleo neighbors loved them! Thank you for a brilliant recipe :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media