Get In Touch

Monday, December 17, 2012

Muddy Buddies

Share it Please
I haven't forgotten the blog! I promise! It's been really hectic over here, but things are finally starting to calm down. After I finish finals this week, I can rest easy and get back to being in the kitchen.

As a consolation for my absence I made you Muddy Buddies. They're vegan, gluten free, dairy free, peanut free, soy free, corn free, and they can be nut free. What could be better?



I got rid of a third of the powdered sugar without sacrificing any of the taste! You can make them refined sugar free, too, by making powdered sugar with coconut, date, or maple sugar. It might affect the taste slightly, but I bet they'd still be good. Personally, I think they'd be great without any powdered sugar at all. But then, they technically wouldn't be true Muddy Buddies.


This is one of my favorite dessert/snacks ever. I mean, really, what can top chocolate and peanut butter? Exactly. Nothing. Then when you add some salt, powdered sugar, and the added crunch of the Chex- *swoon* I think I just died and went to heaven.

There really is nothing more to say, except, please, please, please go try these! They're great to take to parties, but, on second thought, you might want to keep them all to yourself. The recipe makes quite a bit, so I'd recommend cutting it in half if you aren't sharing.

inspired by this reicpe

9 c. Chex-like cereal (I used Rice Chex)
1 c. chocolate chips
1/2 c. sunflower seed butter (or other nut or seed butter)
1/4 c. coconut oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
1 c. powdered sugar, divided

1. Add Chex to a large bowl and set aside.
2. In a small pot, heat sunflower seed butter, coconut oil, and chocolate chips, stirring occasionally.
3. When it's really smooth add vanilla and salt. Remove from heat. Make sure there aren't any lumps in the mixture.
4. Pour over Chex and stir very carefully, so as not to break any of the cereal, until evenly coated. This is one of the hardest things I've ever had to stir! It takes a lot of patience.
5. Put half the mixture into a gallon sized plastic bag. Add 1/2 the powdered sugar and shake, shake, shake! When the powdered sugar has coated all of the Chex, pour onto a wax-paper lined baking sheet. Spread it out evenly on the sheet.
6. Repeat step 5 with the rest of the Chex.
7. Put in the refrigerator to cool (about half an hour).

To make your own powdered sugar you need a powerful blender like a Vita-Mix or Ninja. For each 3/4 c. sugar you use, use 1 T. starch. I like to use tapioca starch. Blend together the sugar and starch until it makes a fine powder. And then you're done! It's really that simple. 



Inquiry of the Day:

What should I make next? I have a lot of things on my list and I really can't decide, so please comment what you think! I love comments!

  • peppermint ice cream
  • cinnamon swirl bread
  • peppermint bark
  • molasses cookies
  • copycat Steak 'n Shake peppermint chocolate chip milkshake

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media