Get In Touch

Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Thanksgiving Table

Share it Please
First of all, I hope you all had a fantastic Thanksgiving and ate until you felt like a balloon. Which is basically what I did. I always hate Thanksgiving afternoon/evening. Fortunately, the weather wasn't so cold that I couldn't take a walk. Although, walks in the Ohio countryside aren't super entertaining, it did help me to feel less full.

Our Thanksgiving table

Normally we have a bigger turnout for Thanksgiving, but this year it was just my family, my grandparents, and my great grandma. It was nice to not have to cook too much, however, it was also kinda boring. There really isn't much to do in Defiance, Ohio in the winter time, except sleep, eat, watch TV, and play cards. That's nice for the first day or so, but after that, it's not so nice. The most exciting thing that happened was when my grandma cooked the turkey liver and gizzard and it stunk up the whole house for over three hours. She also ate them both in front of us. Now, I know some people are all for eating organ meats. I am not one of them. I'd like to be. But I'm not. I felt really nauseous for the rest of the day. Thankfully, my grandma learned her lesson- no more cooking turkey offal! ;)

Anyways, you all are probably more interested in the food. Especially the dessert, if I'm guessing correctly. Who doesn't love a good pumpkin pie?

Jell-O Salad
Definitely not Paleo, but it still was delicious. The "salad" is made out of lime jell-o, cottage cheese, and crushed pineapple. Very simple, very good. 
 

100% delicious. Best stuffing I've ever had, although it's not like traditional stuffing. Maybe that's why I like it so much. For leftovers, if you put a little gravy on top it's like biscuits and gravy. 


For these I used mashed butternut squash and dried spices (because we didn't have any fresh). They were still amazing and super easy to prepare. 

The Classic Mashed Potatoes (yes, homemade) with Gravy and Peas
 

Turkey and Cranberry "Relish"
The relish was store bought and definitely interesting. It had some sort of nut in it, but it was still really good. I think better than regular cranberry sauce. I still prefer TJ's super fruit jam, though. ;)


My Whole Plate :) 


Pecan and Pumpkin Pie
I used this crust for both pies and same filling for the pecan I used last year (unfortunately, I can't find the recipe again :( ). For the pumpkin, I went with a regular pumpkin pie recipe and just used a gluten-free crust. I also used coconut milk instead of evaporated milk and half coconut palm sugar for the white sugar. It came out super yummy. 



Inquiry of the Day:

What did you do for Thanksgiving? Does you family have any traditions that you do for the holiday (including going Black Friday shopping?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media