Get In Touch

Monday, December 23, 2013

100 Year Old Sugar Cookies

Share it Please
This recipe isn't exactly 100 years old. In fact, it's only about three days old. But the one my grandma makes is probably close to 100, and that's what I've based this recipe off of.


Ever since I was about five, my grandma, sister, mom, and I would make her "famous" sugar cookies once a year. We would spend basically all morning in the kitchen rolling the dough, cutting out the cookies with cute little cookie cutters, baking, and frosting. It was hard work, but worth every minute of it. (It even helped to improve my cookie frosting skills ;)


When I gave up gluten, I knew this would be the one thing I would miss the most- Grandma's sugar cookies. However, I was determined to create a cookie recipe that would be nearly it's equal. This recipe doesn't disappoint. The texture of the cookies is soft and fluffy on the inside, while still maintaining a slight crunch on the outside. Admittedly, this isn't the easiest cookie recipe, but they are probably the tastiest. I couldn't be happier with the results. I started dancing around the kitchen after I tasted the dough and realized it tasted almost identical to my grandma's. Yay!


Now, I already know there are a lot of things you all are going to want to substitute. For example, the sour cream. This is a crucial ingredient. When you mix it with the baking powder and baking soda it puffs up and adds lift to the cookies, like egg whites. You can try using plain greek or non-dairy yogurt, but I can't vouch for the results. Also, the sugar. I don't know if honey will work for this recipe. If you try it, increase the baking time and get rid of the 1/4 cup of milk. The eggs also present a problem. You could try flax eggs or an egg substitute. I don't really know. Lastly, the coconut flour. If you don't have coconut flour, just go get some. That's the easy thing to do and I promise you want regret it. It might seem pretty expensive but I've had my 5 lbs. bag for over a year and I still haven't finished it yet.

Enjoy the cookies! :)

1 c. butter or palm shortening
3/4 c. unrefined granulated sugar
1 c. sour cream
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
4 eggs
2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. milk of choice (I used unsweetened almond milk)
1 c. coconut flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 T. tapioca starch + some for rolling out dough

1. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream, baking powder, and baking soda together. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, beat the eggs with the vanilla and milk.
4. Add the sour cream and the egg mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Stir until thoroughly combined. You can use your mixer for this part.
5. With the mixer still on, slowly add the coconut flour, then the salt and tapioca starch. Mix until just combined.
6. Refrigerate overnight.
7. Get out a large cutting board. Cover in tapioca starch along with your rolling pin. Be very generous with the starch. Take out your dough and scoop out a quarter of the batter onto the cutting board. Put the rest back in the fridge.
8. Shape the dough into a bowl and cover with more tapioca starch. Roll out the dough, adding more starch to the rolling pan and dough as needed, until about 1/4" thickness.
9. Dip your cookie cutters in starch, then transfer the cut cookies to a greased baking sheet.Once the tray is full, stick into a 350 degree F oven and bake for 12-13 minutes. Start filling up the next cookie sheet with cut cookies.
10. Repeat with the remainder of the dough. If you dough starts to get too warm, stick it back in the fridge for a few minutes.
11. Once all the cookies have been baked, and have cooled, you can frost them with whatever frosting you want.

My mom's cute little snow man


Inquiry of the Day:

What family cooking traditions do you have?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media