Get In Touch

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Carrot Cake Muffin in a Mug

Share it Please

I know, I know. I promised you this post a week ago. But as the end of the school year approaches the busier my schedule gets and the less I feel like making/posting recipes. It's a sad truth. Fortunately, maybe by next month things will have slowed down for me. But, as for the next three weeks, I have several major tests going on each week including finals, a research paper to revise, a science fair project to do, a musical to be in, and I also have to maintain my social life. I'm exhausted just typing out all the things I have going on. ;)


Anyways, you came for the food.


For the longest time I thought I didn't like carrot cake. Vegetables in dessert? Ew! Gross! If only my ten year old self would've realized that carrots were really just like pumpkin or sweet potatoes. *sigh* It really is unfortunate how little food I actually liked when I was younger. But now I love almost everything! (Except for mushrooms. Those things are just disgusting.) Including carrot cake. Although I mostly eat it for the cream cheese frosting. ;)


This carrot cake is super simple, delicious, and packed with protein and fiber! Serve with bacon or sausage and you have a fast easy breakfast for one! Or even dessert. Don't let the somewhat long ingredient list intimidate you. I'm sure you have all of these ingredients on hand and several of them are optional. Also, the cream cheese frosting recipe makes enough for you to frost the middle and top like a tiny double layer cake. Yum!

1/4 c. almond flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 T. applesauce
2 tsp. coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
1 egg
1 T. oil of choice
2 T. shredded carrot (about 4 baby carrots)
2 tsp. walnuts, crushed (optional)
2 tsp. canned pineapple, diced (optional)
2 tsp. shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
2 tsp. raisins (optional)

1. Combine the applesauce, sugar, egg, and oil in a small bowl.
2. Add in the almond flour, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Fold in your carrots, walnuts, pineapple, coconut, and raisins. Add more sweetener if needed.
3. Grease a mug or ramekin.
4. Microwave on high for 1-1 1/2 minutes.
5. Frost with coconut butter or the cream cheese frosting below.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

3 T. cream cheese, softened
maple syrup (or other other liquid sweetener), to taste
1/2 tsp. vanilla

1. Combine cream cheese, maple syrup, and vanilla.
2. Cut your cake in half and frost one half. Put the other half of the cake on top and frost the other half. Enjoy!



Inquiry of the Day:

How did you spend Easter?

I went to church in the morning where they served breakfast, then in the afternoon my sister and I watched The Help. For dinner, we went to my grandparents house. My grandma made ham, a potato and cheese souffle, asparagus, and salad. And I made chocolate pie. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media