Get In Touch

Monday, February 17, 2014

Mexican Eggs

Share it Please
Firstly, I hope you all had a great Valentine's Day! It doesn't matter if you spent it with family, friends, or a significant other, I just hope it was great and that you ate lots of chocolate. ;) I know that I sure did.

My dad, sister, and I decided it would be a great idea to make dinner for my mom. (And do the dishes, of course. Well- most of them. ;) We ended up making chopped sirloin with a mushroom gravy, sweet potato fries, and a delicious apple cherry salad with candied walnuts and a cherry vinigrette. See? I love my mom so much I made mushroom gravy for her. (Those of you that've been around for a while probably know how much I loathe mushrooms.) Oh, and I made this amazing chocolate lava cake that you absolutely must try. It's like heaven in a dish.


That morning (Valentine's Day) I went to spin class like super early with my parents. I had only gotten about four hours of sleep that night, but, for some reason, I was super awake. Like more awake than when I get eight hours of sleep. Go figure. Anyways, after an awesome spin class, I showered and made breakfast, which just happened to be this recipe. It was super easy and really good. A great change from the classic bacon (or sausage) and eggs. Although, it would've been better with ground chorizo...


If you, like me, find yourself in a breakfast rut fairly often I would highly recommend trying this recipe. I based it off of a dish I had while in Chicago. The eggs were scrambled with bacon, onion, ancho chile peppers, and were topped with avocado. Bacon would be good in this recipe, too. Along with the avocado. It adds a certain flavor depth to the eggs that I enjoy.

1 T. butter, coconut oil, or olive oil
1/2 link of Mexican chorizo, diced or 1/4 lbs. ground chorizo
1/4 c. onion, chopped
1/3 c. peppers of any kind, chopped
3 eggs, beaten.
salt and pepper, to taste
1/3 c. shredded queso (optional, but highly recommended)
optional: top with avocado, sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, etc.

1. In a small pan, melt your butter.
2. Once the pan gets hot, saute your onions and peppers.
3. When the onions turn slightly translucent and your peppers are soft, add your chorizo. Saute until chorizo is heated through.
4. Pour the beaten eggs into pan and scramble with salt and pepper. I like to use a salt I got from Trader Joe's that has a chipotle garlic flavor to it.
5. At the last minute, after the eggs or cooked to your liking, top with cheese and cover with a lid until the cheese is melted.
6. Dish onto two plates and top with your favorite toppings.



Inquiry of the Day:

How did you spend your Valentine's Day?

2 comments:

  1. Man food at your house sounds phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Thanks! But, I assure you, it's usually not that phenomenal. ;)

      Delete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media