Get In Touch

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Catching Fire Menu

Share it Please
Most of you probably know what yesterday was. The premiere of Catching Fire, the highly anticipated sequel to The Hunger Games. And I was super excited for this movie, because a) it was my favorite book in the series and b) Jennifer Lawrence is in it, so how could it not be perfect? ;)


On Thursday night I went to go see the midnight premiere of the movie. The movie was epic. The casting was perfect, the story line stayed pretty true to the book (they left out a few minor things, but that was no biggie), and the director did a fantastic job of conveying everything that went on in the book, in the movie. Let's all just take a moment to appreciate the genius-ness of Francis Lawrence...

Okaay, I'm getting really distracted. Time to get to the food.

I decided to make a Catching Fire themed menu for dinner that night, but I didn't want it to be anything too complicated. A couple months ago, I bought an unofficial Hunger Games cookbook and I looked to that for inspiration. After several menu revisions, I finally decided to make butternut squash soup, wild berry and nut salad, fish with spicy red sauce (look for this recipe in a future post), and District 3 bread/rolls.

The soup is something I think they would've served in the Capitol. It's creamy, rich, and simple, but elegant. Especially if you pour cream or coconut milk on top. As for the salad, the recipe is from the Hunger Games cookbook. The idea is that it's something that would be easy to prepare in District 12. And I'm sure it would be considering that the majority of the salad is berries and nuts and goat cheese.

The fish and rolls have more of a significance. (WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD) In the book, Katniss, Peeta, Finnick, Johanna, and Beetee all share a last meal before they attempt to electrocute the beach in the arena and kill the Careers. How this works is that at midnight and noon every day, a lightning bolt strikes a tree in one of the twelve wedges in the arena. (The arena is designed like a clock.) At ten o'clock, a wave comes and washes over the entire sector ten o'clock sector, damping the beach in that area. Beetee's plan was to hook up a wire to the tree and connect it to the wet beach, where, if the Careers walked on the beach, they would be electrocuted. And so would all the seafood in the water. Before they executed their plan, all five of them had a last meal of seafood and District 3 rolls. That's why I choose to have those items on the menu.

So now that I've explained my reasoning behind it, here are pictures of all the food and links to the recipes I used.

Starter:
 
To make this recipe vegan, use an equal amount of water for the chicken broth and add 2-3 T. nutritional yeast.
 
 
Wild Berry and Nut Salad
All this salad includes is spinach, dried cranberries, blueberries, raspberries, sunflower seeds, walnuts, goat cheese, and a sweet vinaigrette.      
 
 
Entrée:
 
Fish with Spicy Red Curry Sauce
 
 
I used only 2 1/4 c. almond flour and added 1/4 c.+1 T. flax seed to the dough for a more whole-grain taste. Also, I used lard instead of a buttery spread.
 
 
Dessert:
 
I didn't have time to make dessert, but if you wanted to, you could serve chocolate fondue, sugar cookies, or cinnamon bread.
 
 
Inquiry of the Day:
 
Have you read the Hunger Games series? Or have you seen Catching Fire yet?
 
 I'm pretty sure I've talked about it quite a bit. And this whole post was probably very confusing to you if you haven't read the books or seen the movie. I'm sorry for that. 

2 comments:

  1. Swiftie2212/13/2013

    Everything looks SO good! I haven't watched the Hunger Games yet, but I really want to. Maybe I'll watch it soon so I can still "catch" Catching Fire on theaters (Sorry for the bad pun). Those District 12 Rolls look really good, by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. :)
      I highly recommend Catching Fire (especially if you've read the book). If not, it's still an amazing movie.

      Delete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media