Get In Touch

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Key Lime Smoothie

Share it Please
It's that time of year, again. The time when I want all things citrus. Especially lemon or lime flavored things. And lemon bars. I really, really want lemon bars. They remind me of sunshine and spring, which is definitely something that I need right now. Even though it's getting gradually warmer outside! Yay!

Now back to the food.


I mentioned in my Thanksgiving post last year that my grandma makes this amazing lime jello with cottage cheese and pineapple in it. And I believe I also mentioned how it is defintely not healthy. Well here is the healthy version. It contains no added sugar, no Jell-O, and is grain, nut, egg, and soy free. The texture might be different from that of my grandma's jello salad, but the flavor is still the same. Okay, it may taste a bit more lime-y than her salad, but still....


The one thing I do recommend is that you use canned pineapple. Do NOT use fresh or frozen. It gives the smoothie a really weird bitter aftertaste that isn't very pleasant. Maybe if you didn't use cottage cheese it wouldn't taste bitter, but you'll have to do some experimenting. And I'm not really sure what to use in place of the cottage cheese. Maybe farmer's cheese? Or I read on one site that you can use tofu. That'd probably give it the same creamy consistency that the cottage cheese does.


1/2 c. milk of choice
1/2 c. apple or pineapple juice
1/2 c. canned pineapple (It can be tidbits, chunks, crushed, etc.)
1/2 c. cottage cheese
1 T. lime juice
1 scoop protein powder (optional)
2 T. ground flaxseed
2 T. chia seeds
5-6 ice cubes

1. Add all of your ingredients to a blender and give it a whirl.
2. Pour into a glass and top with crushed graham crackers or whipped cream. You don't have to do that part, but I highly recommend it. ;)



Inquiry of the Day:

How was your St. Patrick's Day?

My mom made corned beef, roasted cabbage, and potatoes for dinner. It was a very traditional St. Patty's day meal. And on Saturday I made green eggs.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media