Get In Touch

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Healthy Onion Rings

Share it Please
Onion rings are an American classic. And it's no wonder, seeing as how nothing is better than a sweet, carmelized onion enveloped in a beer batter. (Okay, maybe I can name a couple things better than onion rings, but you get my point.)



Admittedly, the recipe I'm giving to you today isn't exactly like the onion rings of your youth, but I promise they're just as good. Even my sister gave these a thumbs up. That's high praise from her. She normally turns her nose up at whatever I make. Although she still ends up eating it...


To be honest, I don't really know how to eat an onion ring. That might be really random, but I'm like 100% serious. Whenever I try to eat one I end up accidentally sliding out the entire onion from the breading and don't get any of the bread but all of the onion. :/ Oh well, these are slightly easier to eat, because they aren't totally covered in batter. It's just a light crispy coating that tastes like a normal onion ring, if not better.

Inspired by this recipe

1 large sweet onion cut into 1/2" slices
1/4 c. chickpea flour (or other flour of choice)
1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 c. milk of choice
1 c. crushed pork rinds (or bread crumbs or maybe even potato chips?)

1. Preheat your oven to 420 degrees F. Place a cooling rack on top of a baking sheet and grease the rack.
2. Slice your onions into rings.
3. Put the rings in a gallon ziplock bag with the flour, salt, and garlic powder. Shake entire the onions are completely coated in the flour.
4. In a small bowl, add the milk
5. In another bowl or pie plate, add the pork rinds.
6. Dipping one onion ring at a time, first dip in the milk, then the pork rinds and place on the cooling rack.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for about 12-15 minutes. Then broil for an additional minute. Serve with ketchup or dip of choice.



Inquiry of the Day:

Will you be watching the Super Bowl this year?

I definitely will be. Not only is it a good excuse to make anything that's deepfried, Peyton Manning is playing this year. As you might've guessed, I'm a Colts fan (I live in Indianapolis, of course I'm a Colts fan), so I'm sort of obligated to root for Denver and Peyton. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media