Get In Touch

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Rhubarb Pie

Share it Please
Guess what my grandma brought us a few weeks ago? More rhubarb! We had rhubarb muffins, of course, and two pies. The first was a complete flop, because the crust was completely burnt. But the filling was still good so we scraped that out and ate it in yogurt and chia seed pudding.


For the first pie crust I used a recipe from the amazing Elana Amsterdam's Gluten Free Almond Flour Cookbook. Normally, her recipes work like a charm, but this time the oven temperature was too high and we had to bake the pie for too long and.... The crust was black. Completely burnt to a crisp. *sigh*


But yesterday I was determined to make a pie with a flaky, buttery crust and not too sweet, not too tart filling. I succeeded! The pie crust recipe is adapted from Paleo Cooking From Elana's Pantry and it worked beautifully. Baking the pie at a lower temperature helped tremendously. The crust was golden brown instead of black and the rhubarb cooked up nicely.

I'm sure my gramdma has more rhubarb too give us (I'll have to take pictures of it for you guys) so they're going to be more rhubarb recipes to come. I'm almost sure of it.  ;)

Crust:
1 1/4 c. almond flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter, softened but not melted
1 egg or flax "egg"

Filling: 
3 c. rhubarb, chopped
2 1/2 T. arrowroot powder
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
2 T. milk of choice
1/2 c. honey

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9" pie plate.
2. In a food processor plus together the salt and almond flour.
3. Add the egg and butter. Pulse until completely mixed together.
4. Wet your fingertips then press the dough up the sides of the plate. Make sure it's evenly spread all over the plate
5. Bake for 6-8 minutes.
6. Meanwhile beat together your egg, milk, and honey in a large bowl.
7. Stir in the rhubarb.
8. In a smaller bowl, combine the arrowroot powder and nutmeg. Add to rhubarb mixture and stir well to combine.
9. Once the pie crust is done, pour the filling into it. Bake for 80-90 minutes. To test for done ness, stick a knife in the center and if it comes out clean it's done.



Tomorrow is my blog's birthday! Yay! I had an idea for a recipe, but unfortunately I'll have to wait to try it because I am currently on a weekend vacation. So you'll just have to wait a little longer. ;P

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media