Get In Touch

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Gingerbread Cake with Optional Lemon Curd Topping

Share it Please
Yesterday was my mom's birthday (yay!). But I'm not going to tell you how old she is, because I value my life. ;) I love celebrating birthdays or holidays, because I get to make dessert. Somewhat fancy desserts, even. I also just like to celebrate things. It makes me happy. :)


We had a bit of an adventure last night when my grandparents took my whole family out to dinner to Olive Garden. On the way there, there were several stoplights that were out, meaning they were stuck on red or green or were flashing. That itself was peculiar, but what happened next was even stranger. After we had ordered and gotten our food and whatnot the electricity went out! The only light to see by was the light outside and the emergency lights in the builiding. They couldn't even cook anymore. So we got a free dinner (except for the tip to our extremely kind waiter)! Free dinners are always nice.

Okay, story time's ever now, folks. Sorry for that little interlude.


The idea for this cake came from a Trader Joe's sample my dad had a few months ago. He had the sample during Christmastime obviously, but it doesn't have to be Christmas for you to eat gingerbread. Gingerbread is good any time of the year. Especially when something warm and spicy is what you're craving. The lemon curd in this recipe adds a nice zap of tartness to the cake and I highly recommend it. I didn't know that lemon and ginger went so well together. Now that I do I will definitely be trying that flavor combination out some more.

I based the recipe for the cake off of the one in the Paleo Paren'ts Beyond Bacon cookbook, so it does have lard in it. However, you can easily substitute the lard with butter or coconut oil. I don't know what you could use for the eggs, though. Maybe some extra oil and three flax "eggs"? If you try something out, post it in the comments! I love hearing when you guys make substitutions and they turn out good. It makes my job somewhat easier. Lol ;)

1/2 c. lard, room temperature
1/4 c. honey
1/4 c. blackstrap molasses
3 eggs and 2 egg yolks
1 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. coconut flour
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 baking soda
lemon curd, optional

1. Using a hand held electric mixer, beat together the lard, honey, and molasses for about three minutes on high or until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla. Whip until combined.
3. In a separate bowl, sift the coconut flour, spices, salt, and baking soda. I don't own an acutal sifter so I used a strainer.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour mixture. Beat until combined.
5. From here you can either make cupcakes or pour the mixture into a greased 9" cake pan, like I did. Bake in 350 degree oven for 17-19 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes in it with a fork and spread the lemon curd over the top of the cake.
7. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then serve with vanilla ice cream.



Inquiry of the Day:

Has the power even gone out when you've been in a restaurant?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media