Get In Touch

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Trip to Chicago!

Share it Please
I have a perfectly acceptable excuse for not posting for a whole week (which I'm really sorry about, by the way). Firstly, I had a ton of schoolwork to do so no time for creating new recipes. And I was in Chicago over the weekend! Woo! :D Some of you might remember me mentioning it briefly a few months ago, but now it actually happened! And the trip was fantastic as you're about to find out in this post.

We left early Friday morning and arrived in Chicago at about nine o'clock.
Our first stop was Shedd Aquarium. This was the first real aquarium I had ever been to, and it did not disappoint. We went to an aquatics show in the morning and it explained how they trained the animals and took excellent care of them, so any doubts I had about the animals (or fish ;) being kept in captivity were erased. My absolute favorite part of the aquarium is the jellyfish exhibit. As harmful as jellyfish can be to humans, they really are beautiful creatures. They can be as small as a button or as large as a table. Although the ones we saw were mostly somewhere in between. It's really hard to describe how awe inspiring this exhibit was, so if you ever get the chance, definitely go to Shedd Aquarium. 


As for the food, there was a cafeteria that had some great gluten-free options (they had gluten-free pizza!). Definitely not Paleo, but I wasn't really concerned about that this weekend. My mom and I split a taco salad and Vienna sausage with grilled onions. At the cafeteria, there was this robot who served frozen yogurt. My sister was all over that (she was more excited about the frozen yogurt than the robot ;), and being the amazing sister that I am, I bought some for her. I have to admit, it was pretty cool and the yogurt tasted great. 

Below is my Shedd Aquarium photo bomb:
















These are actually jellyfish


We stayed at the aquarium until late that afternoon and visited the Adler Planetarium for about an hour. We didn't get through nearly as much as I would've liked. But if we had spent more time there, I'm sure I'd have a lot more to rave about.


For dinner we ate at Weber's Grill, which was also gluten-free friendly. Again, my mom and I split our food. We ordered grilled beets with goat cheese and pecans, brisket, ribs, bourbon baked beans, and a coleslaw that had chunks of blue cheese and pecans in it. It was all really good, so I definitely recommend Weber's Grill and would go there again. Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures. :(

Okay, this post is going to get really long if I don't break it up into two parts. So, I'm going to stop here for today but I'll post the rest either tomorrow or Friday.


Inquiry of the Day:

Have you ever been to Chicago? If so, what were your favorite things to see, do, or eat? 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media