Get In Touch

Sunday, June 30, 2013

Fixing Minor Problems: Step Three of Revising

Share it Please
I've got some pretty exciting news! Well, it's exciting to me anyways...

I finished my second draft! Woo hoo! :D Now it's actually starting to look more like a story. After spending three whole months on it I'm so relieved to have finally finished the hard edits. Rewriting lots of scenes was involved. Adding conflict, developing characters, making dialog sound realistic, it's hard stuff! Hopefully, this next round of editing won't be so hard.


I'm already starting to make a list of things that need to be changed. I would share that with you, but I don't want to give away anything about my novel yet. Sorry to disappoint! I promise as soon as I finish all the edits I will reveal some information.

Anyways, step three is fixing the minor stuff. So instead of looking at the story as a whole, I look at it piece by piece. Chapter by chapter. This, for me, is easier. I don't have to worry about what's going to happen or what has happened, I just focus on the now. Of course, I will have to look ahead or behind occasionally, just to make sure that people who become injured aren't magically healed without an explanation or something of that sort...

Fortunately, I've pretty much revised chapters one and two to almost perfection. (One more thing to check off my list, yay!) I have the contest I entered to thank for that. But I'm sure my beta-readers will find some flaws with it. And that's perfectly okay. I want to make it better. In fact, I'm always striving to make my story the best it can possibly be.

Of course, my manuscript is never going to be 100% perfect. That's not the way writing works. It will always have some sort of flaw. But the goal isn't to make it flawless. It's to make it the best that it can possibly be. So after I finish one draft, I dive right back in to continue editing. This will keep going on for the next couple months. By the end of it all, I hope to emerge as a stronger writer and take pride in my accomplishment. And then start on the sequel. ;)


Inquiry of the Day:

On a totally unrelated subject, which would you like to see first: chocolate banana muffins or rhubarb muffins?  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media