Get In Touch

Monday, June 10, 2013

Cinnamon French Toast

Share it Please
Crunchy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. That's how French toast should be. Add some cinnamon and a little bit of sugar and you have a pretty close replication of those frozen French toast sticks they sell at the grocery store. Without the laundry list of ingredients!  


About a week ago, my family took a weekend trip and the hotel we stayed at had a breakfast buffet. Surprisingly, it was pretty easy to stay Paleo there. I just stuck to the basics, eggs, sausage, hash browns, fruit, etc. And normally I'm fine with watching others eat gluten filled food, but the French toast sticks almost broke me down. They were golden, fluffy rods of pure sugar. What's not to like? Well... the gluten. That's what's not to like. But don't fret! I didn't completely lose my will power and have a bite. Instead, I went into the kitchen to create my own French toast (when I got home, that is).


To be honest, whenever my mom made French toast for my sister and I as kids, I didn't really like it. Unless, of course, it was drenched in maple syrup. I'm not sure why I didn't. It might've have had too much of an egg-y taste for me, but I'll never know.

However, this French toast doesn't have an egg-y taste whatsoever. And it's super customizable to any dietary needs. Don't care about grains, but care about the gluten? Use whatever gluten free bread you have on hand. Want some whole grains? Use whole grain bread. Need it to be egg free? Use extra milk (non-dairy or dairy). Vegan? Use egg replacer or non-dairy milk. Sugar free? Replace the evaporated cane juice with coconut crystals, date sugar, maple sugar, etc.

Like I said, super customizable. But 100% delicious!

*I used this recipe for the bread

12 slices bread (When I baked my bread I baked it in mini loaf pans, so if using regular sized bread, cut it into quarters)
1 egg (or 1/4 c. milk)
splash of milk
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 c. evaporate cane juice
1-2 T. cinnamon
oil to grease pan

1. Beat the egg in a small shallow bowl.
2. On a separate plate, mix together the sugar and cinnamon.
3. Heat your griddle to medium heat. When it's hot, grease your pan. I use either butter or coconut oil.
4. Dip the bread into the egg, then coat with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Lay into the pan. Do this with the remaining slices of bread.
5. When the underside of the bread is golden or dark brown in color, flip it.
6. After 30 more seconds to a minute, check to see if the other side of the bread is golden in color. If it is, remove the French toast from the griddle. If not, cook a little longer.
7. Serve with crushed pecans, maple syrup, chocolate chips, etc.



Inquiry of the Day:

Are you a fan of French toast? Was there ever a point in your life when you weren't?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media