Get In Touch

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Paleo Crepes- Single Serving

Share it Please
Fluffy, pliable, and the exact replica of a wheat-based crepe. Okay, maybe not the exact replicable, but pretty darn close. Considering they're nut-free, dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, AND grain-free, I'd say I did a pretty good job. :)

This crepe is filled with peppers, onions, a jalapeno chicken sausage and topped with "Not-so Cheese" Sauce (from the Vita-Mix cookbook

Crepes, in my opinion, are one of the most versatile foods in the world. You can fill them with just about anything and have a delicious meal. Berries, whipped cream, nut butter, jelly, ham, cheese, chicken, vegetables, bacon- the list goes on. I chose to put sunflower seed butter and jelly in mine, but I think next time I'll go a more savory route and fill it with eggs and a chicken sausage.

Because this is a single serving recipe, it's also customizable. Plus, it's super easy. :) You can make one crepe and put chocolate chips and strawberries in it, then whip up another and fill it with bacon and eggs.


Now, time for a back story.

When I was in elementary school, my mom would make us crepes for breakfast. They were easy, quick, and my sister and I loved them. Of course, we put chocolate chips in them usually. And topped them with whipped cream, so they weren't the healthiest breakfast. But it's better than Pop-Tarts right? I know, not by much.

Anyways, I was feeling very nostalgic a few days ago and decided to Paleo-ize the crepes I had loved as a kid. And I'm very pleased with the way they turned out!



1 egg
4 T. non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond. I haven't tried it with any other milk, but I'm pretty sure it'll work)
1/4 tsp. vanilla (leave out vanilla for savory crepe)
1 1/2 tsp. coconut flour
2 tsp. tapioca starch
pinch of salt
coconut oil (or other cooking oil of choice, I think bacon grease would be great for a savory crepe)

1. Beat egg in a small bowl and stir in milk.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk until there are no lumps in the batter. It should be fairly runny.
3. Preheat a non-stick skillet on medium heat. Once it's hot, coat the bottom of the pan in coconut oil. I needed about half a tablespoon.
4. Pour batter into skillet and swirl it around in the pan until the batter completely coats the bottom. Alternatively,  you can pour the batter in and use a spatula to spread it out a little bit. The result will be a little thicker crepe and it won't be circular.
5. Cook for about 3 minutes with the lid off. When it is stable enough to flip, flip it and cook for another minute or so.
6. At this point, you could add your fillings and, if they need to be melted, keep your crepe in the pan with the lid on. This is great for melting chocolate or cheese.
7. Carefully slide out of the pan onto a plate and top with whatever you want. :)


Inquiry of the Day:  

What did you have for breakfast as a kid?

Brown sugar and cinnamon Mini-Wheats was one of my favorite breakfasts. And I had Coco-Wheats pretty regularly, too. Healthier than some of my friend's breakfasts, definitely, but it wasn't really "brain" food, if you know what I mean.

By the way, if you're having trouble coming up with crepe fillings I found a whole website dedicated to crepes!

4 comments:

  1. Mmm these look great! Love the single serving idea. Bananas & nutella were always a favorite crepe filling of mine, though I don't think Nutella counts as very nutrient-dense food now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Probably not, but I'm sure homemade Nutella is much more nutrient-dense than the stuff at the store. Hope you have a great St. Patrick's Day!

      Delete
  2. Nice recipe, but do you think I could sub the egg for replacer or something? Oh well, I'll just experiment:)
    I always used to have strawberries and cream oatmeal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! An egg replacer might work, or even a flax egg, but I can't vouch for either. I encourage you to experiment, though, and report back on how it works. Have a great St. Patty's Day! :)

      Delete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media