Get In Touch

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Paleo CoCo Wheats

Share it Please

Say what!?


Paleo CoCo Wheats???? Is that even possible?

Yes, it is. And the best part is, they taste exactly like them. Well, as close as you can get to the real thing anyways. It's creamy, chocolate-y, and has just the right amount of sweetness. Plus, they're super easy to make.

I used to eat CoCo Wheats almost everyday for breakfast. With a splash of creamer they were basically dessert for breakfast. But I loved them. And they were easy for me to make on my own, so they were the ideal breakfast at the time. Looking back, I cringe. That was a lot of sugar for breakfast. They were wheat, too. *shiver*

In a few weeks, my family and I are going to try eating Paleo for a month and see how we feel. Which means no oatmeal for breakfast. It makes me very sad to think about not having oatmeal anymore, because I love to have something hot for breakfast on cold winter days. But I think this is the perfect substitution.

Inspired by this recipe. And my mom came up with it, by the way.

2. T. unsweetened shredded coconut
1 T. pumpkin seeds
1 T. flax seeds
1 T. chia seeds
1 T. cocoa powder, unsweetened
1/4 c. walnuts.
1/8 tsp. salt
3 dates, chopped
3/4 c. boiling water

1. Add all the dry ingredients (not the dates) to a powerful blender, such as a Vita-Mix. Blend into a powder.
2. Meanwhile, boil the water. The quickest way would be to put it in the microwave (we don't use our microwave, but it's fast) or in a stainless steel electric kettle.
3. Pour water into Vita-Mix and slowly increase speed from low to high. Blend until smooth.
4. Pour into a bowl. Top with shredded coconut, strawberries, cherries, almond or coconut milk, nuts (almonds or pecans would probably be good), or even chocolate chips.



Inquiry of the Day:

What was one of your favorite breakfasts growing up?  

6 comments:

  1. This is very clever! I don't follow the Paleo diet but I do love a good clean recipe filled with lots of nutrients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! This is one of those recipes that you feel really good about eating. Have a great week and thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. What a great oatmeal substitution. You're still getting a nice, warm breakfast and enjoying something fun & new =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I like the idea of trying this out for breakfast this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll probably be eating this a lot once we start our Paleo Month. Hopefully I won't miss oatmeal too much and this will satisfy my oatmeal craving in the mornings.

      Delete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media