Get In Touch

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Gingerbread

Share it Please
 In honor of the holiday season, I decided to make a grain-free version of a holiday classic: gingerbread. My mom didn't make it very often when I was younger, but that was probably because I didn't like ginger. It was too spicy. Now, however, I love it! I like to put it in oatmeal, curries, pumpkin bread, soups, marinades, and a whole number of other things. It has become one of my favorite spices. 


Honestly, I didn't expect this bread to turn out as good as it did. Usually, almond flour creates a denser product than most other gluten-free flours. This time it turned out light, airy, and fluffy. It was even better the second day. The flavors were more pronounced and the bread itself was moister.  I think the trick was baking them in mini loaf pans.


My church always has treats sitting out on Sunday mornings, and last Christmas there was this bread on the table that tasted like Christmas. It's hard to describe exactly what Christmas tastes like, but that was the only way I could think to describe it. It wasn't like fruit cake, but, instead, more like gingerbread.A tad sweeter. This grain-free gingerbread is sort of reminiscent to that bread, except slightly less sweet, which is perfect for my taste.

This is just one of the many holiday things I want to make this year. Also on my list are Muddy Buddies, molasses cookies, peppermint bark, hot chocolate, peppermint ice cream, and cake pops. This weekend I'm planning on making molasses cookies, so we'll see how it goes. ;)

2 c. almond flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. cloves
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 c. grape seed oil
1/3 c. agave or honey

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease two mini loaf pans and a small 1 cup ramekin.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl.
3. In a separate small bowl, beat the eggs, then add to dry ingredients. Add the rest of the wet ingredients in the medium sized bowl.
4. Stir until all ingredients are thoroughly combined.  
5. Fill the pans and ramekin 1/2 full. Do NOT fill anymore than this, because the bread will rise a LOT during the baking time.
6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cake tester or knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.
7. Let cool for about half an hour then enjoy!



Inquiry of the Day:

So, what sounds better- peppermint bark or peppermint ice cream? Let me know and I'll make that next!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media