Get In Touch

Monday, November 26, 2012

Characters Have Minds Of Their Own, Too

Share it Please
One of things I've noticed is that when I'm writing, my characters happen to make decisions of their own. I mean, all of a sudden, inexplicably I'll have a new character, or another subplot, or, sometimes, the original plan I had outlined for my story gets flopped around completely. Very annoying.

But, on the plus side, these sudden additions to the story may make it tons better than before. It may lead you to create a sequel or open up a portal to a different world and completely revise your story.


I used to have this idea plugged into my head, that once I made an outline that was the way it was supposed to be. Let me tell you, that I have created over seven different outlines this time. And I haven't followed any one of them word-for-word. I've changed my plot several times. And each time I think it's gotten better. In fact, I'll probably change it again slightly. 

On the down side of these little intrusions, sometimes what you write doesn't fit in at all with the story. Most of the time it does, but on the rare occasion that it doesn't...... You revise! Chop that part out. Once you finish the first draft you can edit ruthlessly. Get rid of a character, change the setting, strengthen the plot, do whatever you want!


I think the reason that I like to write so much is that it gives me control of my own little domain. No one can tell me what to do and I have complete power over this world that I've created. My characters are mine, and mine alone. The world I've come up with is completely original. I can add what I want, do what I want, be anything I want. The usual limits of this world don't apply in mine which makes writing so exciting. You have no idea what might happen next.


As NaNoWriMo comes to a close, I'm very thankful for this great opportunity. I truly believe that it has improved my writing and my interpretation of writing. It has taught me so much about myself and my story. I can't wait to share with you all the final results. :)


Have a great week and happy Monday!


Inquiry of the Day:

What was your favorite part of the month?

Was it Thanksgiving? A trip you took? Or even just staying home one day and resting? My favorite part was Thanksgiving. I love having relatives visit and cooking good food. The best part of Thanksgiving is having an excuse to bake lots of dessert, though. ;) 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media