Get In Touch

Monday, October 22, 2012

Vegan Pumpkin Pie

Share it Please
I'm not smart enough to come up with this recipe on my own. (Okay, I probably could've come up with something given enough time, but I only had a few days to devise a recipe, which definitely was not long enough.) But I did modify it somewhat. The pumpkin filling recipe is from Pure2Raw and the crust from Barefoot & Eloquent. The crust was definitely something to marvel at. It was flaky just like a regular gluten crust. I was in heaven!


I thought the pumpkin filling was nice and creamy, but my mom said it was too pumpkin-y for her. Whatever. How could something be to pumpkin-y?

My grandpa really like it, too and that's saying something cuz he's like the Pumpkin Pie King. No joke. It's his favorite dessert ever.

So overall- SUCCESS! :D

Pumpkin pie filling:

15 oz. pureed pumpkin (1 can of Libby's)
1/2 c. full-fat coconut milk
1/2 c. agave or honey or other liquid sweetener
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2 heaping T. of arrowroot starch (or other starch)

Crust:

1 1/4 c. brown rice flour
1/3 c. coconut oil, cold
1/4 tsp. salt
5-6 T. ice cold water

1. Stir together flour and salt for crust.
2. Cut in the coconut oil and knead until mixture makes crumbs the size of peas.
3. Add water a tablespoon at a time to sections of flour mixture. Gently toss until flour is moistened.
4. Bake at 375 degree F for 3-5.
5. Meanwhile, mix together pumpkin, coconut milk, agave, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
6. Add arrowroot and thoroughly mix together.
7. Pour into slightly baked pie shell and bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
8. Then preheat oven to 325 degrees F and bake for 40-50 minutes, until edges are set and center is slightly jiggly.
9. Allow to cool then top with whipped cream or ice cream.

Inquiry of the Day:

What's your favorite kind of pie?

I love chocolate pie, cherry pie, pecan pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, and peach pie. Oh, and key lime pie. I'm sure I love other types of pie, but those are my favorites. 

4 comments:

  1. I actually don't like pie too much, but I do make an exception for pumpkin pie! The crust looks very simple :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The crust actually was super simple and super delicious! :)

      Delete
  2. Just so you know, you are SUPER smart!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww..... Thank you sooo much Melynda! :*)

      Delete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media