Get In Touch

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fajita Salad

Share it Please
For lunch yesterday I was in the mood for something Mexican. And I got to thinking about when I go to a Mexican restaurant and order fajitas. When they bring out this steaming hot plate of grilled peppers, onions, and meat with just the right amount of spiciness. Just thinking about it started to make me drool.


So I knew that I was having Mexican for lunch. There was no doubt about that, but did I have the ingredients.......

Why yes. Yes I did. ;)


So that was how the fajita salad was born. And it was delicious. Sweet bell peppers, crispy onions, tender chicken and shrimp all on a bed of lettuce with salsa. That is what I call an amazing lunch.

This isn't really much of recipe, though. I didn't measure ingredients so I'll just give you the gist. I used frozen peppers and onions, by the way. You can buy them at Trader Joe's and they taste just as good as the fresh.


2 oz. (pre-cooked or raw) chicken breast- try tempeh, tofu, or black beans for vegetarian
about 1/2-3/4 c. frozen bell peppers and onions
5-6 shrimp (We buy this already peeled and cooked in the frozen section at Kroger)
taco seasoning, to taste (We also make our own taco seasoning, but you can use cumin, chili powder, cayenne, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt to taste.)
2 c. lettuce (Ice berg, romaine, Boston, or any other crispy lettuce will work best)
salsa
sour cream, tortilla chips, cheese, guacamole, etc. 

1. Heat a medium-sized pan over medium heat.
2. Once it's hot, grease with fat of choice. Add frozen chicken and cover for a few minutes.
3. After the chicken is semi-thawed or cooked, add the frozen pepper and onions.
4. Meanwhile, add your lettuce to a bowl. I like to cut off the stems of romaine lettuce and slice it into strips. If I'm using Boston or ice berg I just tear it apart with my hands.
5. Once those are all thawed and cooked, add your shrimp and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Add as much seasoning as you like.
6. Dump your fajita mixture on top of your lettuce and top with whatever you want. I just used salsa, but, if I could, I'd use sour cream.



Inquiry of the Day:

What do you get when you go out to eat Mexican?

I  normally get the fajitas and split them with my family. Sometimes I'll cheat and have corn tortillas, but truthfully the fajitas are good on their own.




4 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I love the veggie option =)
    I love love love mexican food too! I quite like burritos, but I'm gluten free so normally have to ask for it on a bed of lettuce. YUM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! A burrito on a bed of lettuce sounds like a great idea. I'll have to try that sometime. Have a great week! :D

      Delete
  2. It looks so spring-ish! I can't wait to try it:) Maybe on Cinco de Mayo...:D
    Whenever I go out to eat Mexican food, I always get vegetable fajitas! Of course, since I'm vegan, it's more like tortillas, salsa, and vegetables, but it's still delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely be eating this on Cinco de Mayo. I don't know why I didn't think of that... What's not to like about tortillas, salsa, and vegetables? It's sounds great!

      Delete

I love comments so please comment often! Thanks!

Followers

Social Media